Saturday, May 2, 2009

Marmalade, Pay Toilets and other early hilarity.

I am finally over my jet-lag. I touched down in England at 11:30 am on Friday. I took two underground trains, and then a land train to get to Tonbridge.


When I got to a train station called "Embankment" I did some minor exploring. I was also shocked to find out that public washrooms often cost money to use! No joke. It would have cost me 30p to take a piss. Needless to say, I held it in until I got to my Uncle's house in Tonbridge.

Once I arrived at Tonbridge station, I called my Uncle Sean from a pay-phone and he came and got me. We enjoyed a cup of tea, and then he took me touring. He showed me a 14th century Castle with a huge garden. I was actually very impressed.

Afterwards we went and had an apple cider at my Uncle's favourite Pub. It was called "The Spotted Dog."

The plan was to meet up with my Aunt at 6:30 for a Pub Supper. Unfortunately I wasn't able to make it. I went upstairs at around 5:30 for a quick rest, and niether my Aunt or Uncle wanted to wake me. I woke up at around 9:00 pm to realize that nobody was home! I had a glass of water, went back to sleep and woke up at 3 am. I went downstairs and helped myself to a slice of bread covered with Marmalade, made a quick call home, and then called Julie and then read my book for about two hours before crashing again.

I woke up at 10:00 am this morning and was greeted with ham, bread, granola and some excellent coffee.

My aunt and I took a walk into town, and found the library where I am typing this update. I checked out the Canucks website, checked facebook and saw that I'm now fifth on our office hockey draft!


A man named Keith just sat next to me, and he fast learned that I was not British. We talked about music, sports, and then he revealed to me that he was out on "day parole" from prison. He has served nearly twenty years for armed robbery. I know right? He even showed me his Day Parole contract and card.

My aunt is waiting in the library for me, so perhaps it's best that I leave here before I get shanked. Tonight is my Uncle's 70th birthday party. I will blog the details over the next few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment